Weight-loss body wraps have become a craze in recent years at spas and health salons. Claims of losing anywhere from 6-20 inches from the first treatment are common. In addition, a weight-loss body wrap is an effective way to remove toxins from the body, rejuvenate sore muscles, and improve circulation, all of which can contribute to overall weight loss.
There is no one-size-fits-all body wrap recipe. The most benefit will be gained from customizing the ingredients to your particular needs, skin type, and problem areas. Slimming body wrap treatments administered by spas and salons do not take these differences into account, which can often lead to disappointing results.
The basic ingredients of a weight loss body wrap, all of which can be customized, include:
- Natural clay
- Moisturizing agents
- Essential oils
- Natural additives
Natural Clay Base
Choose any one of the following ingredients, based upon its properties, to be used as the base for your weight loss body wrap.
- Green clay – stimulates circulation, improves skin texture, detoxifies, softens skin, tightens pores, improves suppleness
- Red clay – improves dry skin, refines skin texture, hydrates skin
- Fuller’s earth – absorbs excess oil, improves oily skin, detoxifies, evens skin tone, tightens skin
Choose one mineral from the list to use in your weight loss body wrap. Each has its own beneficial properties.
- Epsom salt – softens skin, detoxifies
- Sea salt – softens skin, rejuvenates skin, exfoliates, improves dry skin, reduces dry skin cells
- Dead sea salt – detoxifies, improves dry skin, accelerates skin metabolism
Choose any two of the following herbs for your weight loss body wrap. They should be used in their dried form for this application.
- Chamomile – softens skin, relaxes muscles, promotes cell regeneration, reduces varicose veins
- Stinging Nettle – stimulates circulation, heals damaged skin
- Dandelion – detoxifies, improves dry or irritated skin, improves circulation, revitalizes skin, reduces cellulite
- Parsley – detoxifies, relieves itchy skin, soothes skin, reduces bruises
- Spearmint – soothes dry skin, promotes circulation
- Calendula – accelerates healing, reduces varicose veins and bruises, stimulates cell regeneration
Choose any two moisturizing agents from the list to be used in your weight loss body wrap. One or both can be replaced with water, if necessary.
- Apple cider vinegar – relieves itchy skin, restores natural pH level to skin, reduces bruises
- Glycerin – moisturizes, improves dry skin
- Witch hazel extract – tones skin, improves oily skin
- Goats milk – exfoliates, restores natural pH level to skin, moisturizes
- Lemon juice – detoxifies, softens skin, evens skin tone, restores natural pH level to skin
- Yogurt – improves dry skin, evens skin tone, moisturizes
Choose one or any combination of these essential oils for your weight loss body wrap. Other essential oils with similar properties may be substituted, although those listed here are most beneficial.
- Lavender – soothes skin, improves all skin types
- Chamomile – softens skin, promotes cell regeneration, reduces varicose veins
- Lemon – detoxifies, softens skin, evens skin tone, restores natural pH level to skin
- Lemongrass – improves dry or oily skin, balances oil production, soothes skin
- Rosemary – heals and nourishes skin, stimulates circulation
- Spearmint – soothes dry skin, stimulates circulation
Choose any of the following additives for your weight loss body wrap.
- Aloe vera gel – moisturizes, restores natural pH level to skin
- Sweet almond oil – improves aged or dry skin, moisturizes
- Apricot kernel oil – softens skin, improves dry skin, calms inflammation
- Olive oil – stimulates cell regeneration, moisturizes
Other Ingredients and Equipment
In addition to the customizable ingredients listed above, you’ll also need the following ingredients and equipment:
- Spring or distilled water
- A large stock pot
- Blender or food processor
- Kelp or seaweed powder
- An old cotton sheet, cut into strips
Body Wrap Preparation
- Bring six cups of spring or distilled water to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Grind ½ cup of each of the chosen dried herbs (1 cup total) in a blender or food processor.
- Add the ground herbs to the boiling water, and remove from heat.
- Add two cups of clay, one cup of the chosen mineral, one cup of kelp or seaweed powder, 1 ½ cups total moisturizing agents, two teaspoons total essential oils, and two tablespoons natural additives.
- Stir well to combine, and then allow the weight loss body wrap mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Dip the cloth strips into the mixture until each one is thoroughly soaked. Reheat the “mud” as necessary, to keep the solution warm throughout the process.
- Wrap the strips tightly around the problem areas of the body.
- Lie down and relax for at least one hour before removing the weight loss body wrap.
- Shower in cool to lukewarm water, and allow the skin to air-dry.